The Last Frontier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak easy

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Speak easy - Page 2 Empty Re: Speak easy

Post  Elizadolots 6th September 2008, 2:24 am

You mean your library didn't have it, or that you weren't able to get it when you wanted it? That's sort of an important distinction....
Elizadolots
Elizadolots
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KJTrek 6th September 2008, 10:02 am

They didn't have it, period.
KJTrek
KJTrek
Admin

https://lastfrontier.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizadolots 7th September 2008, 2:13 am

Well...that's just wrong. Did you question it? If it's a case of a library that only has donated books and no one has donated a copy...pm me the info I need to send them a couple of copies. If they just refuse to carry it...then....well... protests must happen. Let's hope it comes down to me ordering a few copies off Amazon to be delivered to the library...that would be so much better.
Elizadolots
Elizadolots
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KJTrek 7th September 2008, 9:46 am

I quite honestly think it was just not carried, not as though they were banning it. I have my ghetto edition from a used book store I should donate... it may kinda be a message.
KJTrek
KJTrek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jerhanner 7th September 2008, 11:34 pm

KJTrek wrote:oh my... does someone have a tribble in their bonnet? Just kidding. I hate censoring too, but really, just how much would she be able to do about it as VP?

McCain gets elected, and dies. She and her cronies now control all appointed judgeships. Boom: the conservative Christians turn into the American Taliban. No Potter, no 1984, no Farenheit 451. No more lots of things.
Have you been following the stuff about the former AG Gonzalez? Even the Justice Dept. itself admits that packing positions with conservatives who toed the line wasn't the best idea in the world. Heck, even G. Will thinks it's a bad idea.

Not everyone in America is a conservative Christian; why should we have their social mores forced down our throats? Would you feel differently if Palin was an Orthadox Jew or a Jehovah's Witness or a Scientologist?

Read Joyce Carol Oates' The Handmaids Tale and you'll see the worst case scenario.
jerhanner
jerhanner
Housewife
Housewife

Back to top Go down

Post  KJTrek 12th September 2008, 5:18 pm

Okay, our school district has acquired a budget deficit of over 2 million dollars over the past decade or so. Unfortunately, in Wisconsin, there are budget caps for schools that prohibit increases in taxes over a certain amount, and require referendums for districts to do so. So, our district has passed a referendum, but is still working on cutting its budget. Several of the things to go are the trimester system at the high school (to cut teachers and programs), lay off more staff, re-purpose two elementary schools, cut most of the gifted and talented program, and (drum roll please) change how our two middle schools work.

There are two middle schools; Shattuck, and Horace Mann. For the past years, both have served grades 6-8, but this year, Horace Mann (the smaller of the two) will be 6th grade exclusive, and Shattuck 7-8. This will mean that an already crowded Shattuck will now have more than 1000 students, while Horace Mann (which recently received sever large building additions) will be echoing halls, with fewer than 500. Almost all teachers, including those who have been in the same classroom for in excess of 20 years, will be forced to re-locate. Also, the language programs are losing their rooms; they will now operate out of mobile carts.

Any thoughts?
KJTrek
KJTrek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tomcatjosh 13th September 2008, 8:43 am

Those darn librils, love to change things. i used to get home at 3:45, but now i get home @ 4:00. You know why? they CHANGED THE SCHEDULE FOR THE BUS RIDERS! Evil or Very Mad
tomcatjosh
tomcatjosh
Wrangler
Wrangler

http://www.startrektheshow.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KJTrek 13th September 2008, 11:40 am

Okay.... that is creepy... I just tried to post a reply to josh's post with a quote, but instead it edited his post... wow... he here is what I wanted to say:

Yeah, more like uber conservatives. The board is extremely conservative in contrast to many of its teachers. Oh, and they stopped providing busing for in-city students. Fortunately I'm in the town, not the city. The funny thing is that I'm actually closer to the high school than many in city students.
KJTrek
KJTrek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jerhanner 14th September 2008, 12:32 am

tomcatjosh wrote:Those darn librils, love to change things. i used to get home at 3:45, but now i get home @ 4:00. You know why? they CHANGED THE SCHEDULE FOR THE BUS RIDERS! Evil or Very Mad

Those aren't liberals, those are bureaucrats. And they make everyone suffer.
jerhanner
jerhanner
Housewife
Housewife

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizadolots 15th September 2008, 12:18 am

Yeah....what Jerhanner said. Besides, haven't you listened to your conservative heros? According to them, liberals never cut spending....Liberals spend and spend and spend...
Elizadolots
Elizadolots
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KJTrek 15th September 2008, 7:19 am

now, now eliza, his parents are Republicans. You don't want to scar him up too much.
KJTrek
KJTrek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tomcatjosh 20th September 2008, 11:21 pm

I Dont Care. I Listen To Limbaugh as well. you should call him and talk.. Have Fun! Laughing
tomcatjosh
tomcatjosh
Wrangler
Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post  jerhanner 23rd September 2008, 10:45 pm

“The biggest mistake is believing there is but one right way to listen, to talk, to have a conversation -- or a relationship.”
jerhanner
jerhanner
Housewife
Housewife

Back to top Go down

Post  KJTrek 24th September 2008, 5:31 pm

i agree, although I am guilty of doing so... so, getting off of politics, anything exciting happening in anyone's life? I, managed to have something like 6 major nosebleeds within 36 hours from last Friday-Saturday. I had two at school, then one at a wedding ceremony, and two at the reception, and a few the next day... kinda sucked. But I'm thankfully getting over the cold that was making me blow my nose so much, so yeah...

I had a big Japan test today, but that was better than I expected, so I'm happy.

Okay... bye since nobody is posting here anymore *sniff* Sad Mad No Evil or Very Mad
KJTrek
KJTrek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tomcatjosh 24th September 2008, 5:59 pm

Test On Japan? We're Studying Africa, Our Social Studies Teacher Is From Nigeria Which is in africa. Surprisingly, were talking about Africa First. Hum?
tomcatjosh
tomcatjosh
Wrangler
Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post  jerhanner 24th September 2008, 11:55 pm

I'm psyched for a fun day of errands, pre-school, and then the library & playground! And of course, the after-dinner football game.

If I ever go back to school I would love to take some classes on Japanese and Chinese history. So I'm jealous!
jerhanner
jerhanner
Housewife
Housewife

Back to top Go down

Post  KJTrek 25th September 2008, 7:10 pm

well, we're starting china come monday! I think there's an open seat in the room, and mr dietrich is pretty accommodating. I'm sure you could study with us!
KJTrek
KJTrek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jerhanner 28th September 2008, 10:31 pm

KJTrek wrote:well, we're starting china come monday! I think there's an open seat in the room, and mr dietrich is pretty accommodating. I'm sure you could study with us!

I can hear it now - "Who is the chicken hawk in the back row?"

I got to see a woman with bound feet when I was in Beijing - creepy creepy creepy. Of course, she was very old. Sometimes we forget that when we were still trying to form city-states in Greece, China was already an old empire. National Geographic dedicated a whole issue to China a few months back if you're in the mood for extra credit reading.

OK, this is me shutting up about China.
jerhanner
jerhanner
Housewife
Housewife

Back to top Go down

Post  KJTrek 28th September 2008, 10:47 pm

yeah - I saw that issue (i get NG and lurve it, but I don't read the articles as much as I should... I just look at the pictures)

China is going through some major problems, and is trying very hard to prove that communism CAN work, although they are failing in the eyes of the western world, despite the fact that they are creaming us as far as economy, population, etc. go. I think the next 20 years will perhaps be some of the most dynamic of our young nation's life, and may shape the world of Star Trek as we think of it. WWIII, advances in space travel, unifying the globe... first contact... it could all happen in this century.

okay, this is me shutting up about the world
KJTrek
KJTrek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jerhanner 5th October 2008, 10:39 pm

If one approaches the future with logic, it only makes sense that the Asian countries lead the way into space. America will still be a world power, but I think China is going to wake up and (as Tolkien said about the Ents), "Find out that they are strong." I bet Starfleet Command will be in Shanghai or Xian, not SanFran!
jerhanner
jerhanner
Housewife
Housewife

Back to top Go down

Post  KJTrek 6th October 2008, 5:53 pm

I totally agree; we just don't have the capital in America anymore to fund such outlandish projects anymore. Here, we should be more worried about internal reform than external exploration for the coming years, and now China is poised to send men to the moon. I also think though, that Asian countries will go through the same arc that the U.S. did, in that after decades of economic boom, they will be where we are now. I think that will be when we are again ready to be the superpower of the world. This is a great discussion too.

hey, anyone watch america's got talent? i was surprised at who won!
KJTrek
KJTrek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jerhanner 7th October 2008, 12:08 am

Maybe those turds from Wall St. could donate some of their million dollar bonuses to the space program. I'm not saying that we should abolish the classes and go Communist, but sheeeeeeesh, it doesn't seem fair that some little kids go to bed hungry in Appalachia while in Connecticut the debutantes buy $800 dollar handbags.
jerhanner
jerhanner
Housewife
Housewife

Back to top Go down

Post  KJTrek 7th October 2008, 6:53 pm

I completely agree, and I just saw on the news what I knew what would happen - apparently almost all of the companies that were bailed out with our $800 billion have reports of grand vacations taken by head officials and hundred-million dollar bonuses. It's really pathetic, especially when you consider that just 1 billion could cure much of Africa from AIDS, or at least treat most cases. Imagine what just 1 billion could do if put into building railroad infrastructure, or helping grow green technologies? It's just sickening that we have just officially funded greedy Wall St. bastards
KJTrek
KJTrek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KJTrek 25th December 2008, 12:37 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS
KJTrek
KJTrek
Admin